Thursday, November 15, 2007

Perspective

Perspective.

Main Entry: 2perspective
Function: noun
Etymology:
Middle French, probably modification of Old Italian prospettiva, from prospetto view, prospect, from Latin prospectus — more at
prospect
Date:
1563
1 a: the technique or process of representing on a plane or curved surface the spatial relation of objects as they might appear to the eye; specifically : representation in a drawing or painting of parallel lines as converging in order to give the illusion of depth and distance b: a picture in perspective

2 a: the interrelation in which a subject or its parts are mentally viewed ; also : point of view b: the capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance

3 a: a visible scene; especially : one giving a distinctive impression of distance : vista b: a mental view or prospect

4: the appearance to the eye of objects in respect to their relative distance and positions
— per·spec·tiv·al
\pər-ˈspek-ti-vəl, ˌpər-(ˌ)spek-ˈtī-vəl\ adjective




What is perspective? What does it mean to view things in their true relations or relative importance? I want my perspective to be something so much greater than it is. Today, my perspective looked like this:




When really my perspective needs to be this:


Why do we so often forget what we need to focus on? Today I was talking with one of my mentors and kept chatting in circles about how much I am struggling and how hard life is and how I need a better perspective, more discernment, more friends...blah blah blah. But then as I thought about our time together, I realized, that really I need to change my focus. I want a better perspective , but I still want it to be focused on me. I need to view things in their true relations and really gain a better, more clear understanding of who I am and who God is. All I have seen is the rain, the struggles, the trials when really I need to see the sun rays, the mercy, the grace. Who am I to ask for so many gifts and for all the answers? Who am I to expect things from God and have the opinion that he owes me because I have been obedient? Romans 6:13 says "Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness." Is not life enough reason for me to obey? Is not his sacrifice reason enough for me to be greatful? Woe to me. Woe to me. I am a greedy, selfish child who throws a tantrum at the outcome that is not my own instead of accepting where God has me and asking him to give me his strength and do his will whatever that may be. May I have a perspective like Paul. May I understand the gift that I have been given and stand firm that it is enough for me!

No comments: